Travel by ship or ferry to the Olympics

If you're traveling by ferry to France for the 2024 Olympics or Paralympics, find out all about your rights under the European regulation 1177/2010 if you travel on a mechanical boat with more than 12 passengers requiring at least 3 crew members.


If you're taking the ferry with your car, be sure to check the size limits, including roof boxes.


Please bring your valid passport or identity card.

If your minor child is traveling alone, with one of his parents or with another adult, you may need to obtain authorization to leave the country. Find out more. In practice, many carriers refuse to carry unaccompanied minors under 16.

Be careful if your trip includes stopovers! Check that you have the necessary papers for the entire journey and for the countries you will be crossing or visiting.

In the event of cancellation or a 90-minute delay at departure, you can choose between:

  • re-routing to your final destination at no extra cost, under comparable conditions and as quickly as possible;
  • A refund of your ticket (and, if applicable, a free return to your original point of departure).

In the event of a delay on arrival, you are entitled to compensation depending on the length of your trip and the time of delay on arrival.

For example, if your journey lasted less than 4 hours, you are entitled to compensation of 25% of the ticket price for a delay of more than 1 hour on arrival, and 50% for a delay of more than 2 hours.

For more information, please see our article Travelling by ship or ferry.


Compensation is not due if:

  • The cancellation or delay was known before the ticket was purchased,
  • The cancellation or delay is due to the passenger's fault,
  • The carrier proves that the cancellation or delay is due to weather conditions compromising the safety of the journey or extraordinary circumstances (strike by port personnel, port closure, etc.).

If your trip is cancelled or delayed by more than 90 minutes, you are entitled to :

  • meals and drinks in reasonable quantities, taking into account the waiting time,
  • accommodation on board or ashore if necessary (with a limit of 3 nights and €80 per night) and transport to get there.

Please note! Accommodation is not due if the cancellation or delay is due to weather conditions compromising the safety of the trip or to extraordinary circumstances. And assistance is not due if the cancellation or delay was known before the ticket was purchased or is the fault of the passenger.

Your luggage on the ship remains your responsibility. You cannot claim compensation in the event of loss or theft.


    If your ship has been involved in an accident, you are entitled to compensation in the event of personal injury, death, loss of luggage or damage to your vehicle.

    Good to know: you (or your heirs) have direct recourse against the carrier's insurance provider in the event of death or injury.

    If you are a passenger with a disability or reduced mobility, you are entitled to free assistance in port terminals and on board the ship.

    Loss or damage to your mobility equipment entitles you to financial compensation.

    Be aware that you might be unable to use your disability card from your home country to benefit in France from priority access or personal assistance. Such national cards from other EU Member States are currently not automatically recognised during a short-term stay in France. The European Commission has proposed to establish a harmonised European Disability Card but such a card won’t be available yet during the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

    • First, contact the carrier or the booking platform you have used to purchase your tickets in writing (e-mail, online form, registered letter…), within the two months of your travel. Retain proof of your correspondence. The carrier has 1 month to acknowledge receipt of your complaint and 2 months from the date of acknowledgement to respond. Retain proof of your correspondence.
    • If this effort proves unsuccessful, proceed as follows:

    If you live in France, you can receive assistance from a consumers’ association, whose contact information is available on the DGCCRF’s website. You can also report your problem with the hotel operator or the rental property owner on the SignalConso platform.

    - If you live in another EU Member State, Iceland or Norway, the European Consumer Centre for your country can assist you. Visit the ECC Network website for its contact information.

    - If you live in a non-EU country, contact the embassy or consulate of your country in France or report your dispute on the website, via the complaint form or contact the members of

    Funded by the European Union. Views and opinions expressed are however those of the author(s) only and do not necessarily reflect those of the European Union or the European Innovation Council and Small and Medium-sized Enterprises Executive Agency (EISMEA). Neither the European Union nor the granting authority can be held responsible for them.