Emergency numbers in the EU and in France.
- European emergency number: 112
When in distress or a witness of an accident you can call 24/7 in all Member States of the European Union to get immediate assistance from the fire brigade, a medical team or the police. You can dial it from everywhere in the EU, from a landline or a mobile phone, free of charge. A specially trained operator will connect you to the police, ambulance or fire brigade, depending on the emergency.
If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can use the number 114 if you are a victim or witness of an emergency situation and require emergency assistance. This number can be accessed by fax and SMS.
- SAMU (medical emergencies): 15
- Police emergencies: 17
- Fire service emergencies (« pompiers »): 18
- In case of heat wave in France, the government advises in French: 0800 06 66 66
- For local services such as out-of-house doctors, anti-poison centres, maritime rescue, dental helpline, etc. check upon arrival.
In Paris :
- SOS Médecins (Paris - emergency doctors): 0033 1 47 07 77 77 (from a French telephone line, you can also dial 0820 332 424).
- SOS Dentistes (Paris - emergency dentists): 0033 1 43 37 51 00
- Anti-poison centre: (Paris) 0033 1 40 05 48 48
Make sure to always specify who you are (a victim, a witness ...), the reason of your call, your telephone number on which you can be reached, your location. Give the precise address of the place where the services must intervene, including door access code etc. especially if you are not there. Do not hang up until told so.
Good to know: For a general information on emergencies while in France, you may check for instructions given by the authorities, over the radio, on the television and social networks by following the official Twitter and Facebook accounts: @gouvemementfr, @place_Beauvau.
Attention: Do not forget, before leaving home check what to do in case you lose your passport or your credit card! Write down the numbers and store them seperate from your wallet or purse, do not only store them in your phone!