Advantages of commercial warranties
The duration of the legal guarantee is limited and it is not always easy to prove the existence of a defect.
Update : Nov 2015
Directive 1999/44/EC and the national transposition laws provide protection to consumers in cases of defects in or non-conformity of goods which they purchase. However, the duration of the legal guarantee is limited and it is not always easy to prove the existence of a defect. Commercial warranties therefore can have benefits for consumers. The ECC-Net, based on its case handling experience and the checks performed online and offline, is able to draw up a list of the main advantages of commercial warranties.
A commercial warranty can be beneficial if:
Its duration is longer than that of the legal guarantee.
- Consumers do not have to prove the existence of a defect.
- Consumers get a replacement item during repair.
- The complaint procedures are smooth.
- Consumers do not need to organise shipping of the defective items
- It foresees a mechanism to ensure that a repairer comes to the consumer's home
- All costs for analysing the item, repair or replacement are borne by the guarantor.
- Direct replacement of the item with no attempt to repair
- All issues are covered regardless of the case, including water damage, accidental breakage and oxidation.
- Consumers can usually contact any representative of the producer or reseller (if it is a producer warranty) for application of the warranty,
- It is usually an accessory to the item, and can be included in any re-sale.
- It may offer a “cooling off” period. If the consumer is not satisfied with the product, bigger brands often offer a total refund or a voucher to the value of the purchase price.
Commercial warranties might also overlap with other insurance policies a consumer might have.